The McGoogan Library was founded in 1881 as part of the Omaha Medical College. After numerous locations, the library's permanent home was created in 1970 with construction of a three-story addition above the Medical Center's basic science building.
The library was named in 1980 in honor of Leon S. McGoogan, M.D., a longtime UNMC obstetrician and gynecologist. Dr. McGoogan was honored for his private gifts to the library and for his fund-raising efforts among college of medicine alumni.
The library encompasses 57,820 square feet providing online access to over 1,600 full-text online books and over 10,000 online journals supplementing the print collection of over 240,000 bound volumes. An outstanding collection of rare and historical books, archival materials, historical artifacts, and art work are located on the 8th floor of the Library.
600 S, 42nd St, Omaha, NE